When is the last time you wanted to throw in the towel and walk away? Was it today? Or last week? It just happened for me today! It happens to the best of us. But, successful people don’t do what they feel. They do whatever it takes to achieve their goal. They persist!
Persistence is the ability to maintain action regardless of how you feel. It means not giving up on the resolve of your heart.
I like James Whitcomb’s description of persistence:
The determination never to allow your energy or enthusiasm
to be dampened by the discouragement that must inevitably come.
I believe each of us is custom made for a unique purpose in life. Most of us dream big dreams and hope big hopes. Yet, studies show that less than 5% of us actually achieve our dreams and hopes. Why is the success rate so low? It is partly because we lack persistence. We give up when the going gets tough. We question our abilities and the sensibility of the goal. We lose sight of courage as we smack into the mountain of adversity and trial. Our dreams splatter and we fall into the valley of complacency and mediocrity. But, it does not have to be that way!
In the confrontation between the stream and the rock,
the stream always wins, not through strength,
but through persistence. H Jackson Brown
Let’s consider what it takes to be as persistent as a stream:
• Knowing who we are – A stream knows its strength lies in the power of repetitive movement. It simply flows in the current of who it is until it sculpts out the path it envisions.
• Know where I am going – the stream follows a nature course it was destined to follow. No matter what obstacle it encounters, it flows through, under or over the obstacle to its natural destination.
• Live in the moment – the stream encounters each moment sequentially. It doesn’t get distracted by the past or the future.
• Find your passion – the stream carries energy (passion) that is not easily curtailed by the strength of its opposition. That energy turns problems into solutions.
Let’s examine some of the key attributes of Persistence:
• High integrity
• Intrinsically motivated for a purpose
• Goal oriented
Take a look at some obstacles you may be facing right now. Are you feeling discouraged? Questioning your goals? Just remember that each obstacle that you overcome makes you stronger and more able to power through the next! Focus your mind on the attributes of persistence and the end goal and realize obstacles are only temporary.
In closing I must share one of my favorite quotes on persistence that I often read as my own reminder to stay the course.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not;
nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.
The slogan “Press On” has solved and always
will solve the problems of the human race.– Calvin Coolidge
Worldwide Copyright TJ Associates, LLC Diane Kucala